For the Glory of Our Wonder-Working, Awe-Inpsiring, Jehovah-Jireh

Stepping out in faith, stepping out of my comfort zone, is teaching me more about the awesome power of our Almighty Savior than I ever imagined. Day by day, Jesus smiles down and reminds me that he is able to do more than I can conceive. While praying with others, I thought it would be encouraging to have a place where we can come and share these wonderful works with one another.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.(Ephesians 3:20-21)

Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Prodigal Father

A Message From the Adoptive Mom

Today, on Father's Day, I sat at church, already with thoughts of our son's biological father on my mind, in my heart. Our son was asked if was going to call his dad and wish him a Happy Father's Day. He emphatically stated that he hadn't even thought about it and he was afraid it might give his dad the wrong impression.

I wonder if our son's Father is thinking of him on this day. I wonder if our son is thinking at all about his biological dad on this day.

Then, in church today, our pastor preached about the prodigal son. It suddenly occurred to me that our son's biological father is a prodigal. I began to cry--tears that have been trapped inside for several weeks now. I pondered all that our son's biological father has missed in the past eighteen years....while squandering his wealth in wild living. He chose not to parent our son. He chose to think only of himself. He has no family; he has only himself to worry about.

But, I wonder if he has come to himself in that distant land, a home a thousand miles away from his son. He is definitely not worthy to called Father. He has done no good thing to deserve that title.

As our pastor preached, I continued to weep, quietly. He told of his own prodigal son, how he feels he failed when he came home. He spoke of our words and the power they have to edify or tear down.

I was reminded that my words to the father can have a tremendous impact, to tear him down or lead him to the TRUTH, to offer criticism or compassion, to share judgment or forgiveness.

I want my son to feel free to express his emotions. Our son's bio dad will never be a dad to him, but they are part of each other. I don't know what will come on the day of the first meeting, but I want the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit with us. I pray that we are able to celebrate that the father who was dead is alive again, the father who was lost is found.

No comments:

Post a Comment