For the Glory of Our Wonder-Working, Awe-Inpsiring, Jehovah-Jireh

Stepping out in faith, stepping out of my comfort zone, is teaching me more about the awesome power of our Almighty Savior than I ever imagined. Day by day, Jesus smiles down and reminds me that he is able to do more than I can conceive. While praying with others, I thought it would be encouraging to have a place where we can come and share these wonderful works with one another.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.(Ephesians 3:20-21)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wonder-Working, Awe-Inspiring, Jehovah-Jireh

Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him; talk ye of all his wondrous works. Psalm 105:2
I posted a similar post on our family blog, but I must talk of HIS WONDROUS works again.

How can we put into words any description of the God we serve? And, yet, how can we sit quietly without talking of his wondrous works?

Josie-Tatum and I committed to the mission trip to South Africa just two months ago. I had no idea where the money would come from. I only knew that God was directing our path to the right people, the right place, all in HIS timing. I knew that God was speaking to my precious 6-year-old child when night after night she was praying for orphans, night after night she was asking God, "Please tell me and Mama where we can go so we can help orphans." I knew we were about the Father's work when her kindergarten teacher came to me to tell me, "Today, someone asked the classe what they would do if they have a million dollars. They all had some extravagant wishes. Then Josie-Tatum said, 'Well, if I had a million dollars, I could help a lot of orphans.'" God has given me a priceless gift, the gift of being Josie-Tatum's mother, the gift of guiding her in HIS plan for her life.

Yet, where would the money come from? Am I Doubting Thomas? Stepping out in faith, committing to the mission to South Africa, having no clue where the finances would come from, I am WAY out of my comfort zone.

After our committment, I was having a major Doubting Thomas day. It only took me a week to go from faith to worry. I had my prayer journal that morning, begging God to show me we were on the right path. I received an email as soon I got to work. The title was, "URGENT: CONTRIBUTION!" We had received our first contribution, and it was more than I ever would have imagined...immeasurably more. It was $900! It was from a dear friend I've never met personally, another mommy with a heart for orphans, one I've prayed for, one who had prayed for me. God was beginning to affirm our decision.

But, we had to pay for our airline tickets...with just the $900 to go towards them. Stan and I agreed that we would take nearly all of our savings to complete the purchase of the airline tickets for Josie-Tatum and me. I think his words were, "We've lived on less." We stepped out in faith, trusting that God would provide. But, like Martha, I had begun to think He was four days late.

We were beginning to see red.....and, while red is the color of celebration in China, our bank has a different perspective. Many had contributed, and, we were in the middle of a fundraiser, but two days before pay day, we were overdrawn at the bank. I knew we would rise above the surface in two days, catch up a little, buy some more time to make up for the $3,100 we had already paid out for airline tickets.

On payday, I went to our online banking screen to see where we stood. There was my check and Stan's check listed, as we have direct deposit. But, there was something wrong with Stan's check. It was $973 too much! No, not $9.73, but $973.00. I knew there must be a mistake. We are both state employees. We can neither one make over-time, etc. We work for a straight salary/contract amount. I waited all day, until after school to call him at the prison. (He's not a prisoner, BTW, he's an officer.) I told him what had happened.

One-and-a half hours later, he called back, "That money is ours!!!!!!!" He had so much comp time built up, and had so much unused sick time and annual leave, he was paid for his comp time, over-time, holiday pay, and days in training. Did you hear me shout? "Praise the LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

We all know Abraham was on the mountain, prepared to make a sacrifice I could never make, when God provided the sacrifice. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-Jirah, the LORD will Provide. God is continuing to provide for us...as long as we are willing to step out in faith, to trust him with every part of our being.

What inspiration He sends when I am living His word.

And, if I could share one more inspiration.

As Josie-Tatum and I have prayed that the LORD would provide for our trip, you may have read of the gifts from children, one who gave a dollar, one who gave five dollars. Josie-Tatum and I did discuss the fish and the loaves, how Jesus fed thousands with the small gift of a child.

And, isn't is just like God when that very night, after I put the little girls to bed, that same story was part of my daily Bible reading? How had I forgotten? They took up of the fragments that remained twelve full baskets!! God not only provided for the needs, he had left-overs. He spoke to my heart, that I should not expect Him to provide only the $6,000 for our mission trip, I should expect left-overs. We had learned that week that the cost of sending one orphan to the school at Build the Nations is $585 a year. I told Josie-Tatum we were going to expect at least $585 more than we asked for, so we could make sure one more orphan goes to school.

Today, I recieved a phone call...phone calls have the habit of being life-changing around here lately. It was from a distant relative, not even a Christian. He asked, "How much more do you need for your trip?" I shared with him that we need $1000 more to cover our expenses, but we are praying for $585 in addition, because we want to be able to send at least one orphan to school. And, do you know what he said. "I have some money coming on the 15th of next month. I'll make sure you have the money to send an orphan to school." Did you read that??????? God is using a man who is not serving Him to provide what we need so we can serve him. Isn't that awe-inspiring? Isn't that wonder-working?

We committed to the South Africa mission on March 23rd. It's just been 2 months, and God has already provided $5,000. That was $5,000 I had no clue, no hint of an idea of knowing how God would provide. Do you see those numbers? God has provided on average, more than $500 each week. Oh, dear friends, how he longs to share His riches with us.

When I am I going to live every day expecting to see the promises of Ephesians 3:20? When will I learn to look for him to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine? Will you join me in looking for the unimaginable?

2 comments:

  1. God is so awesome! Is it too late for a cake? I meant to call you yesterday and forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is SO AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete