For the Glory of Our Wonder-Working, Awe-Inpsiring, Jehovah-Jireh

Stepping out in faith, stepping out of my comfort zone, is teaching me more about the awesome power of our Almighty Savior than I ever imagined. Day by day, Jesus smiles down and reminds me that he is able to do more than I can conceive. While praying with others, I thought it would be encouraging to have a place where we can come and share these wonderful works with one another.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.(Ephesians 3:20-21)

Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Father's Voice

When the young man turned 18, he began to have more questions about his past. While his biological mother was no longer living, he questioned his adoptive mother about his biological father. She could not give him any answers, but promised to find out what she could.

Her love took her to a court house in small town, though newly remodeled, the smell of old wood filled the air. With the help of a court clerk, she poured through the thick file. While she had expected to find a name, she was taken by surprise to find an address.

When she arrived home, the mother shared with her son the address. "The chances that he still lives there are very small," she told her son. She went to the computer, though, and was further surprised to learn that the biological father still lived at the address that was close to 18 years old.

The young man wanted to send his father an invitation to his graduation, but his mother knew the contents were an invitation to be a part of his life. The young man had never seen his father, had never even seen a picture of him. When he sent the invitation, his mother requested permission to send a letter to the father, as well. "I just want him to know what an incredible young man you have grown to be--in spite of all of the hardships you faced until you joined our family."

The young man agreed to allow his mother to send the letter. She told his story, she told of the difficult days, and she told of his triumps....his honors, his awards. She included her phone number.

She sought the LORD, prayed diligently for the young man and his biological father. She considered Esther, and how Esther has asked many others to pray with her. These prayers softened the heart of the KING. She prayed the letter would find a softened heart, one that had once rejected the young man. She prayed that Jesus would pray for the young man as He has prayed for Peter, that his faith fail not.

And, then today, her phone rang. The mother thought of the Bible account of Doubting Thomas....when the story reads, "Then came Jesus." She began to tremble when he spoke his name. There was silence on the phone. She walked away from the crowd. The biological father and the adoptive mother were both at a loss for words.

The mother said, "You have been prayed for. I was awake last night praying for you."

The father said, "Thank you. Thank you for the letter. I received the graduation invitation, and I thought.....I knew this day would come. He is reaching out to me. I need to send him something. I thought of him all through the night while I was driving my truck. Then, I came home last night, and I found your letter."

Over and over again, the father expressed his gratitude. He shared how the son was a far better man that he. He admitted his failures, and, in his own way, asked for forgiveness.

The mother said, "God is a God of grace, and you have a forgiving son." (Wow, Jesus is THE FORGIVING SON."

The father said he'd like to meet his son. The mother was thrilled, but filled with mixed emotions. How would her son feel? She has heard her son's father's voice. He had never heard it.

Her son will hear his father's voice this weekend. Can you pray, while anticipating the inconceivable. Tonight, there is a family, a biological father, an adoptive father, an adoptive mother, and a son who would be forever grateful.

We serve an awesome God!
Robbie

9 comments:

  1. Wow- God is so good.
    We are praying in Mn!
    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an adoptee myself, I will be praying for all this weekend!
    Adoption is such a beautiful thing!
    Many blessings and congratulations to the senior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie I am in tears and praying.....this is God ordained....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbie,

    This post has me in tears. I will definitely be praying for you and your family this weekend. What an amazing thing God has orchestrated for your son and for his biological father. He is the God who heals families and makes broken hearts whole!

    God's blessings on your family,
    Jody
    (member of LCC)
    mama to 4, including Lily, doa 02/2006, Dongguan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good story, and I admire the mom for doing so much leg work. I'm not sure I would have been so noble. In fact, there is a part of me that is glad that I will not have to share my Chinese daughters with birth parents. (I know that is not "correct" to say, but it is the truth.) I wish everyone involved well and will pray for a good day for all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read - and then I wept.

    Praying for all of you.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in tears!!! I love the young man and his adoptive family, and know that this family is praying for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart is filled with emotion for y'all. Seeing that the Lord is moving mightily already, I will be praying and praising...

    -Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robbie, this has touched my heart. God is truly amazing, as well as you are loving and devoted. I'll be praying for all of you

    ReplyDelete