For the Glory of Our Wonder-Working, Awe-Inpsiring, Jehovah-Jireh

Stepping out in faith, stepping out of my comfort zone, is teaching me more about the awesome power of our Almighty Savior than I ever imagined. Day by day, Jesus smiles down and reminds me that he is able to do more than I can conceive. While praying with others, I thought it would be encouraging to have a place where we can come and share these wonderful works with one another.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.(Ephesians 3:20-21)

Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Father's Voice--Part 3

The tears began again today, for the mother. In church services, the soloist began to sing, "The Anchor Holds." The mother was sitting by her son, but felt drawn to the altar. As she knelt, the tears began to flow again. "Please let the anchor hold for our son," she prayed. "May he be strong, rooted and grounded in love, that as he meets his father his anchor will hold."

The family is planning to travel to meet the father. The dates are not certain yet, but they hope to travel together. The son asked, "What do I call him...Dad? Mr. ___?"
His mother said, "You call him by his first name." The son said, "You are my parents." The mother felt a sweet peace flood her soul.

The mother believes her son is somehow looking forward to the meeting, though she knows it will be awkward. He has brought it up several times today. "So, do I shake his hand...or give him a hug?" His mother said, "I think it would be appropriate to shake his hand. You don't usually hug a stranger, but you do what you feel comfortable doing."

The son said, "I could give him a high five. But, wait, I don't know anybody who left his girlfriend when she was pregnant. I don't think I would be friends with anybody like that."

Then later the son asked, "You are going to be with me when I meet him, aren't you? You're not going to leave me with him by myself, are you?"

The mother replied quickly, "Of course, we're going to be with you. For two reasons...#1 I know you'll be uncomfortable...but #2 I'm your mother. I want to be there with you, because that's waht mothers do."

The evening dinner table found the two of them sitting together, something that rarely happens. The rest of the family had finished eating, and they were alone. They talked about his past. The discussed life with his first guardians. They talked about his dad. That talked about how awkward a first meeting would be. The mother said, "Have you thought about this? Your father will likely be more uncomfortable than you are. You will have your family with you, and he will be alone. You've done nothing wrong. He has admitted his past mistakes. He will have guilt sitting with him."

The mother shared the sleepless nights she had during the week. The son said, "Really? I haven't lost sleep over someone who chose not to be part of my life for 18 years." But his mother said, "That's what mothers do. It's my job to worry about you." The mother is going to bed tonight. For the first time in a week, she thinks she is finally going to be able to sleep. She had such a sweet conversation with her son, truly one heart to another. It reminded her that her son is stronger than she realizes, yet willing to let her know he needs her! And, for that she is forever grateful.

Please continue to pray the inconceivable.

No comments:

Post a Comment